Sam's place

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Some days..pt.1

I work as a security guard at a large clothing distribution center. I deal with semi-drivers 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. (Working a Saturday is almost a mini-paid vacation.) I had a driver come to the security sign-in window on thursday evening, who spoke no english. I on the other hand, speak no Ukrainian. It was hilarious as we played charades for 10 minutes, him trying to tell me who he drove for, and me asking him to let me see the paperwork he was holding so I could just look for the proper authorization to pick up the shipment he was there for.

I finally got the phone number of the company he drove for, and spoke with his dispatcher, who gave me the info, then explained to the driver what was needed and where to park. As the driver left after being loaded, he shook my hand and said the one word I understood..."Tovarich"..."Friend".

Best. Work. Day. Ever.

S.

4 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger Sean said...

Glad you had a positive encounter!

Most folks would have undoubtedly just given up in frustration. Speaks well of you and your Ukranian tovarich that you guys persisted for so long.

--Sean

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Hythian said...

Cool. Sounds like it was a situation that would either be hilarious or painfully frustrating.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Boulder Dude said...

Wow...

Nice story, and it is cool when things happen like that.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Sam said...

The sad thing is, this happens seldom enough that it's really easy to remember the few times it works out like this one did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home